View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 02:32 AM
SVX Appeal

Quote:
Originally posted by UniqueAngle If I recall correctly, R12 vs R134a have slightly different cooling properties. It really is very common for a temp difference to be noticed. The a/c tech can probably do some adjustments, just be nice & ask him.
~Brenda
R12 and R134a have considerably different cooling properties. The new junk is not as efficient as good ol' R12. Nevermind that it's also corrosive, toxic, flammable, and more expensive to manufacture - which R12 is not. Oh yeah, and just like R12, it's still a greenhouse gas, so that hasn't changed either. ...but don't worry about any of that stuff. The only part you'll notice is that your cold air may not get as cold despite lowering your fuel economy just the same as before.

Some R134a air-conditioning systems can achieve the same cooling potential, but require more energy, and frequently, larger components. I don't think the post-94 SVXs have any upgraded hardware. I think it's pretty much the same equipment, but with different refrigerant. There are other alternative refrigerants out there, but few are readily available. I've heard of R134a+, R401a, R402a, R409a, and a handful of other ones. They all cost way more to manufacturer [legally] than R12, but the R12 supply/demand equation has been flipped on it's head so the costs have skyrocketed and DuPont, among others, have milked the newer Freons for what their [not] worth.

I have a 1994 SVX with 134a. I'm thinking about converting it to R12. (Mostly out of spite.) I probably never will, but it'd be nice to have cold air. This sorta-cold stuff stinks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Dave, I'm likely wrong here, but isn't there also an issue with the lubricants in trying to go back?
You're right. You can't just mix and match that stuff. You get boogers in the system if you do. Very messy. The passages are very small so it's hard to get your fingers in there, and it's not very flickable anyway. You have to wipe it off on your pants when no one's looking. The up-side is that there is a flush that can be run through the system to clean that out. It's a normal procedure. (Wish I had one for my boogers.)

Last edited by UberRoo; 07-21-2004 at 02:36 AM.