View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Go Riders Go!

Send a message via MSN to Canuck
Thumbs up

First of all, for me it was the thrill of the hunt. Trying to find one that was an anniversary edition AND in superior condition was the challange. There were only 301 produced and some of them have been wrecked and some of them have been butchered. With tools like the internet, it is relativley easy to find an SVX, but an anniversay ediution, that's a bit more of a challenge.

Secondly, the value comes from the rarity; I always tell my buddies who own Corvettes or whatever that ANYONE can have/get one of those. If I wanted to, I could write a cheque today and own one. To be honest, there are a lot of cars that perform better than an SVX on the market today. If I just wanted A CAR, with good performance I could get one of those. But, I wanted something unique, isn't that why a lot of us like the SVX? And, when I decided to get an SVX I figured why not go for the MOST unique. I can go to eBay or Cars.com or whatever and buy several SVXs (other than the anniversary edition) any time I want. Even a lime green one if that's what I wanted. While performance wise there is nothing special about the anniversary edition, I think that if you ask a lot of people who own a (unmodified) SVX if they would trade for an anniversary edition in similar condition with similar mileage etc. they would trade. I own lots of baseball and hockey cards. What makes one like my Gretzky rookie card worth more that the rest? They are all made of of cardboard, same dimensions, same thickness and they all perform the same etc. But, it's the rarity that makes the value (to collectors). A better example might be in coin or stamp collecting whereby a limited run misprint has a high value. The coin or stamp if used as a coin or stamp only carries its face value, but, to collectors the value changes.

And price, well if I ever wanted to sell my anniversary edition (not going to happen) I don't have to compete with eBay, AutoTrader, Cars.com, etc., etc. The higher premium/price comes from the rarity. How many anniversary editions do you see on eBay or on AutoTrader? And, if you ever see one in good shape for sale it doesn't last long!

So for me it was the challange, the value and the ability for them to hold their price. When I decided to go after an SVX, I wanted both a unique car and a collectable car.
1993 25th Anniversary Edition ~74K #291

I like mine rare.