View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM

'94 SVX eats batteries

Hi,

I've not been around in a while, so I am a bit out of touch, but I've encountered some issues that nobody else can seem to resolve for me.

Back in 2008 I bought a '94 SVX (LSI I believe), fixed its only two problems (loose windshield washer hose under hood, junk stereo) including a decent JVC DVD/CD receiver and modern speakers, remote starter and alarm system. This worked great for a couple of years and I could park it at the airport in the middle of winter with the alarm on through 8-10" of snow for two weeks no problem, never failed to start. Just before I moved across Canada, the brakes started to seize.

In 2010 I put it up on a trailer and dragged it across Canada, then drove it straight to a shop to have the brakes checked. After two shops it finally came down to aged brake hoses breaking off pieces in the line and choking the brakes. After fixing that and an engine mount issue due to the crappy road conditions in my former home, this new problem started.

No matter what I do, including leaving the alarm system off, unplugging my iPod from the stereo, etc. the battery drains completely dry while sitting. Even a brand new, fully charged battery will be killed in a matter of days (if that) unless I disconnect the terminals. The car runs perfectly otherwise, but there's nobody around here who has a clue why the battery is being drained. I don't know if it's because of the cross-country drag, or something the last mechanic or two did, or something completely unrelated. I know it's not the stereo/alarm because it worked fine for 2+ years even leaving it parked with the alarm on. The car runs beautifully once I jump-start it, but I can't exactly rely on being able to get a jump every time I want to start the car, can I?

Is there anything common I could check? Is this something that happens often to SVX'es, or rarely if at all? There is no Subaru dealer here, but I can get to one an hour or so away if I have to. They have no techs who have ever worked on an SVX before; however, then neither did the Subaru dealer where I used to live and they still took good care of my baby.