View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 12:11 PM
<<<Alcyone

WANTED - Good repair shop - Portland, OR area

Please Help Me - I need to find a good reliable repair shop in the Portland, Oregon area.

The Power light flashes 16 times on my '92 Ebony. I pulled the stored and active codes - 11 (Solenoid A and/or possibly the resistor behind the battery) & 24 (Solenoid C).

I bit the bullet and took it to my nearest Subaru service department who claims they have six SVXi that are 'regularly' serviced there. I made an appointment with them and dropped off my car. I told them about the error codes and told them the AWD was binding in turns.

They hooked it up to their computer, (after they had it for a day and a half - I guess it's a good thing I made an appointment!). They said everything was working correctly, their computer didn't find any stored or active codes. I asked them if they had noticed the flashing Power light and pulled the codes from the TCU. They said they don't bother with that, their computer is much more sophisticated and it finds all stored codes and more. Since their computer couldn't find a problem, they decided it must be the transfer clutch pack.

Two hours later they told me parts and labor was going to be $1800, they started telling me the parts they would have to replace including the rear housing case (???). They then suggested that I not waste my money on this work and instead I should just have them replace the entire transmission for only $3800.

I politely asked them what I owed them at this point and told them I would continue driving my car as it is for now.

I am out $90.20 ($82 + 10% for misc. shop supplies) for them to ignore what my car and I tried to tell them was wrong.

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?

Last edited by intelisevil; 01-20-2006 at 07:31 PM.