View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Leaks - big pink puddle - suspect power steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
As a matter of fact that just so happens to be exactly what I did, Dave, yesterday evening. Also last night I got under it and confirmed that the rack was free of leaks. Not a drop from the rack...

...but...

I could actually see drips from the transmission. So back to square one - looks like my tranny's still leaking. went out to the parking lot at lunch and moved it from the 100% clean space I'd parked in and saw four palm sized pink puddles. Gonna have to take it back to my guy.

I swear I ought to just park it in a bad neighborhood with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition. Problem is they'd probably drive it for a couple of hours and park it in my driveway. I should probably just get a gas can and a box of matches.

This car has been a non-stop series of expensive problems. I just ordered $276 worth of parts for EXPECTED maintenance, meaning stuff I don't mind spending money on (timing belt, cam seals, timing pullies, water pump, nice oil filter, etc.). THAT stuff isn't a problem. I didn't mind the leaking brake line - stuff happens. But then all the transmission stuff:
  • original tranny - died...
  • got a '98 Forester tranny ($150 and a weekend of labor for my brother-in-law who lives out of state)
  • installed a rear end I got w/ 4.44s... $100
  • rear end makes horrifically loud metallic "CLANG!" and the rear tires stop moving...
  • put in fuse to make FWD, no more AWD assurance in corners and wet weather - breaks traction from a stop easily (not what I'm looking for)...
  • had dealership install new tranny pan and re-seal $65 + labor
  • tranny leaking all over the place, dealership says torque converter seal (and it will cost $700+)
  • find a great local guy fixes blown cooler hose $150
  • have same mechanic completely remove tranny, all new seals, mechanic even found that the dealership hadn't properly sealed the pan, had to remove exhaust and naturally all the exhaust gaskets crumbled - two weeks getting seals and gaskets - $642 labor, about $200 in parts
This doesn't count the GALLONS of ATF or the THREE times I've had to pay $60-$65 to have it towed.

Then there's all the coolant I've had to buy - again GALLONS in just the last month (not even counting emergency water only times) due to a coolant leak I've got (I'm suspecting a bad water pump). Mechanic pressurized the system and couldn't find any leaks. Who knows.

That doesn't count all the money I would have to pay to make it appear somewhere better than "embarrassing" looking. That doesn't count the likely new 4.44 diff I'll have to get, the new rear control arm I need, the new tires I need, the new cooling fans I need, the rear window that I have currently jammed and taped into place, etc.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the more and more I stew over all the money for nothing with this car, the more and more I want to get rid of it and never look back. Maybe buy some boring econobox Mazda or something. My wife's not happy about it either. It becomes harder and harder to justify having a hobby car as a daily driver, and neither of us wants a leaking money pit as a third car.

And here I used to think our Tribeca was bad!

I am sorry to hear about all those, if it were me, and it was a few years ago, though not to that extent, I would manual swap it. more reliable (by far) and that direct response to the go pedal is addicting. lol