Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Total shutdown with elect power suging and fried fusible link

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
Arrgggh.

Hi all,

She left me stranded today. Total power loss, then 3 short surges then dead.

Yesterday, the dash telltales said battery, brake, abs similar to the last time I had to replace my alternator and battery. Would illuminate at startup and would disapper after rpm climbed. Slight whining coming from alt pulley area. Also yesterday I would get an intermittent airbag light.

After cold startup this morning, car idled down to normal 600ish rpm when it got off the bypass air, but then would kick back up to high idle randomly. Defrosters, lights, radio was on/running at the time. Car ran normally for about 20 miles and then the show was over.

Fusible link terminals actually "fused" themselves to the fuseblock. Wire is broken, so hopefully the rest of the system is okay.

Surges were crazy, blower motor at max, all lights, stereo. the whole event lasted about 3 seconds. Then nothing. Had to work the shift interlock to get it on the tow truck.

What happened? Alternator blew? Positive terminal short? How does one remove the pins now welded into the fuse block? Do I get a new link and solder it to the now permanent pins to check fixes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gee Mac you have some problems.

This one is the voltage regulator in the alt that has lost control of the voltage. All the lights that came on first were the first signs, as the voltage rose above 15V. When you started the engine in the morning the current changing the battery got high enough to blow the fusible link. Unfortunately The link only protects the battery, the rest of the electrical system is still connected. The alt keeps charging the rest of the electrical system to cause damage.

Depending on what was working at the time, and how high the voltage was, as to how much damage was done to the units, like ABS, ECU, TCU and all the relays that were on at the time.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.