View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Start Issues - worsening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonefethr View Post
Hi Everyone, I have tried looking through alot of the threads before posting, but now I am more confused. Anyway, I bought a car from a member here,(RadSvx) who had put in alot of work in to this 95 L AWD and fortunately kept meticulous records. However, the day after the car passed inspection the check engine light started intermittently flashing on, eventually the car became more difficult to start, particularly on the colder days and than eventually each time I try. I have brought it to 2 mechanics that can't seem to pinpoint the issue. The second mechanic states that the cooling fans are coming on right from the turn of the key, which is not typical? He recommends bringing it to a Subaru dealership, which I have no problem with, as long as I go armed with a little bit of knowledge, or at least what may appear as if I know what they are talking about, so I dont jacked. The one good thing is, and even the mechanic states ,,is that once it is started , it as strong as bull.
I love this car and looks great, I just wish I was more mechanically inclined. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions. Anna

It is going to be the Coolant temp sensor. When they go bad, the CEL will illuminate and the fans will run all the time (The ECU does not know how hot the engine is so it defaults the fans all the time). Replace the sensor and it should fix the starting issues (the ECU does not know the temp of the engine so it cannot trim the Fuel properly and causes a rich start)

If you want, stop down at my shop in Ocean county one weekend and I can confirm the issue and fix it if you want

Tom