View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Re: check out my new dash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
I have a theory I am gonna apply in the future, but you would definitely lose the lighting behind the lettering. You cut vynil letters to match the size and type of the OEM. You apply paint, let it dry... then carefully apply the lettering to place, then clearcoat.

Otherwise I cannot think of anything else.

The thing is, if you could match the lettering, you could use the vinyl lettering as a mask, paint, then remove the lettering, and uncover the lit lettering...

that would be a lot of delicate work.

I wonder if careful work with a very sharp x-acto to cut the paint, or a very tiny fine-grit abrasive burr, with a bright light behind the panel, if one could cut or sand down the paint to uncover the lettering, using the bright light to shine the lettering through the paint layer... I am not even sure that would work... the paint would have to be pretty thin, and well dried, so not to feather and peel.

With things like that done, a clearcoat could be applied to protect it, and somewhat seal the edges down under a clear paint layer.

Alsa has some very interesting paints, including soft-touch clearcoats, similar to newer interiors. They also have vinyl overlays, and all sorts of stuff.
http://alsacorp.com/paints.htm

I am thinking about something like that, as the OE soft-touch paint is wearing off in my 05 Legacy's interior...

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 06-24-2009 at 10:30 AM.