View Single Post
Old 05-11-2002, 02:57 PM
gcookaustin

Re: svx reliability?

Quote:
Originally posted by rex
I am considering a SVX, how reliable are they compaired to other cars? Are the SVX's as reliable as other Subaru models or other Japanese cars? I understand there are common problems with transmissions, brakes, and wheel bearings. Are the 94 and newer models much more reliable? How much will it cost to replace the transmission, brakes, and wheel bearings when they do go bad? Parts and labor? What is the expected lifespan of the transmissions?

How much do normal repairs like exhaust, timming-belts, water pumps, alternators,suspension, and tune-ups cost? I understand the labor is diffrent for diffrent parts of the country, I just want to get a rough idea. Are there any Chicago area owners on the forum? Where do the people from Chicago go when they need work and repairs?

What are obvious things to check for when inspecting a SVX?

Are certain models and years more desirable and reliable than others?

Thanks!
My impression (but after only about a month of ownership) is that it is reliable. But others on the board who have had theirs' longer can tell you that they have had a lot of problems. Basically if you do the maintenace and change the trans fluid (and maybe add a cooler too) you will have good transportation. In my case, my SVX used to be a fleet car so who knows how well it was maintained but it drives and shifts very well for a car its age. I don't think there's much improvement in later years except in the area of transmissions, but even then some later model years have had to have their's replaced.