View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Time to play "Which sensor's broken?"!!!

This is one of the reasons my next SVX will be a 96 or 97, in all of the OBD-I cars I have owned, the ECU has without exception shown a marked insensitivity to sensor and component failures, sometimes even with the car shaking badly and barely running, a MIL would not be lit.

On most of the OBD-II systems Ive worked with, the MIL comes first even when no symptoms are present.... which makes sense why it was made mandatory. It also made retrieving codes from the various mfgrs much easier, as our snap-on scanner required only circuited keys in the OBD-II connector instead of fishing for the malady of different mfgr-specific connectors to make a crackshot attempt at finding memory codes.

OBD-I.... Better for a swap, yes

Better for the nerves, no

Im wondering if poking at the various sensor wires going into the ECU would yield a bad voltage signal between there and the engine bay, as prolific as this problem is it might need some attentive probing, and probably a lot o luck.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.

Last edited by SoCal LS-L; 10-14-2009 at 10:04 PM.