View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Good place to tap for +12v switched power?

What is a good wire to tap for switched +12v power? Are there any unused terminals / connectors near the center console that can be accessed for this? I'd rather not use the switched wire for the head unit, since I don't really like the idea of piggy-backing a bunch of stuff off of the stereo power feed. I will require about 3a of total available current for this connection, so it's not a huge power drain or anything, but I'd prefer a dedicated line if at all possible.

I was thinking along the lines of maybe finding a connector for some obscure / unused option on my car (i.e. automatic belts, seat heaters, etc) that I could repurpose for this project. But I don't know enough about year-to-year harness changes to know what is there and what isn't, or even where to look for it. I don't want to rip my car apart looking for nonexistent wiring.

I do have open connections for my old sun visors, but those are in a less than ideal location for what I'm trying to do. I guess I could use those, but it would be as a last resort...plus, I believe those are constant +12v (not switched) so that makes those wires even less appealing.

So, does anyone have any ideas? The car is a 1994 LSi, if it matters. Thanks in advance...

-Evan