View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 07:05 PM

I thinl it has to be...

...A defective diode, Trevor. Our cars are loaded with diodes to keep the components from bleeding through other components and causing the same result as two components in series. TA series condition has to, and will cause a portion of the voltage instead of the full voltage that it takes to do the job. While testing the circuit at the ignition switch, of course sometimes it would start and the voltage on the wire to the starter would be fine., Occasionally when it didn't, i would have an instant of full voltage and then back to 8 v or so and no start.. Then I would physically short circuit the run wire and the start wire at the switch and still it wouldn't start. LO voltage there as well.

I then went to a fused wire with a spring loaded switch to always start! Any problem with wiring in my situation would keep my relay from working the starter because I didn't change any other thing in the car. I even use the same wire from the ignition switch to close the relay!

That rules out any problem with the inhibiter switch. I would not make my car start without the safety of the inhibitor switch in the start circuit.

Trevor, I even considered the security system but it is still in my start system.

It is mind boggling. Process of elimination.... Has to be a diode. there is nothing else in the system to consider. I took the past of least resistance and rather than trying to tell which diode, I tried the relay and it works like a dream. I will probably leave well enough along and just go on with my life We have racked our brains over and over to test all the other components and that because there isn't anything else in the circuit for and would not turn on the cooling fans every time it didn't start!. Could be wrong Trevor but I couldn't make any connection. I did try!

I would swear my car starts quicker than it ever did with my relay, bot that could be from the fact that I would always break into a cold sweat from fear before turning the key to start before the relay thingie.

You just got to love this site! Everyone contributing and by putting the information together helps keep us on the road... in style!
Take care,
Keith

P.S., I could be totally wrong.....

Last edited by kwren; 01-26-2008 at 08:33 PM.