View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Re: Drive train binding & TPS

I see you are in New Zealand; should I take that to mean the transmissions you are talking about are either Australian market or JDM?

The gear ratio is programmed into the TCU. When you swap in a transmisison with a different gear ratio and don't reprogram the TCU to match the TCU miscalculates the speed reading used for all the most important calculations and table look ups it does. It shifts at the wrong speeds, it looks up the line pressure from the wrong table cells, and it miscalculates and looks up wrong values for the all wheel drive function.

In the US where the transmissions use a multi-plate transfer clutch for the all wheel drive binding isn't as much of a problem as the shifing at the wrong speeds and running the wrong line pressure; as a result, a fair # of people drive around without reprogramming their TCU and without knowing any better. (100% of people who go from that state to getting their TCU properly programmed can't believe they were foolish enough to drive their cars without the propperly programmed TCU after they see the difference.)

I've had a couple of European customers who installed European VTD transmissions with 4.44 gear ratios. They both had binding and shifting issues and came to me. In both cases a custom ROM programmed to match the 4.44 gear ratio solved their problems. I've done both the earlier models built on the UK market FF firmware and the latter models built on the UK MS firmware. So if you have an Australian market transmission and car with the same speed sensors as the European market I have firmware ready to go for you. I haven't modified the gear ratio in a JDM firmware before so if your car and tranmission are JDM I don't have firmware sitting here ready to go but it shouldn't be a problem to make.

Last edited by longassname; 11-10-2013 at 07:55 AM.