View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Hater

Re: Checking Idle Air Control Valve

Quote:
Originally posted by RobSVX
Hi again,
I'm pretty sure the IAC on mine needs cleaning out. It'd appear, since it sits on the underside of the Throttle Chamber, you have to remove the Throttle Chamber, so I've got gaskets (and some time) coming.

Once I get to it, is there any way to test it ? Maybe run a voltage to one of its wires (I'm guessing it just moves a 'valve' to open outside air into the plenum) ?

My car is a hard start when cold (no CE lights, no obvious vacuum leaks, and just did 02s). Once warm is no problem. Also, when cold the car shakes and RPM's drop - just like a carb'd car with no choke would do... I'm sure I need to get to it and attempt cleaning it out. I guess I just spray some Carb Cleaner in the main square hole on its top ? Maybe in a vacuum line ?
Didn't notice anyway to get to the actual valve by looking at the pic on subaruparts.com

Thanks for any advice on testing it !
damn, i was just about to post asking if it can be removed without taking off the entire throttlebody!

i have the same symptoms - on freezing days when the car sits in the lot all day, it does what you said if i don't warm it up for a few minutes. i used to throw Cylinder#1 misfire codes if it was really cold out with no warm up. now i just make sure to warm it up before heading out, and its kind of a pain in the arse. i need to get it fixed real soon!

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)