View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Dual exhaust overkill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
I changed my stock exhaust, which by the way was silent as a grave, I went this route^ dual 2" piping no third cat. There is very little room for good mufflers so I have 2 long glasspacks, I think 24" about midway under the car and right behind the rear diff I am putting 2 more short glass packs as resonators. I am adding those last 2 because of the drone. Right now it sounds absolutely great at idle, and reasonably quiet but hit 2k and it screams and driving at highway speeds is almost enough to give you a headache. So far I have spent $260 on my exhaust, I wish I had seen this post first though because I will be spending about $90 more for the additional glasspacks if I had done it all at one time I would probably only be spending 50 more. I also got factory looking, but bigger chrome tips they look perfect on here.
You have in effect halved the number of pulses of gas normally travelling down a single pipe. On the basis of tuned effect, it is essential that the cross section of each pipe comprising a dual system, equates logically with the original single pipe and is of a reduced area.

In my opinion a dual pipe system is ideal. The original OEM design constraints would have involved cost, space and ground clearance.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!