View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
trevor... your analysis of the solenoid may be correct but in that case I would imagine he would be getting the dreaded flashing power light indicating an electrical fault in the circuit. Or maybe it is a physical fault in the solenoid which is causing a blockage. BUT why would this only act up while the trans is hot? Leads me to believe the friction materials for 2nd gear are worn and only when the fluid is cold and thick it will have grab. My thoughts and assumptions without seeing/hearing/feeling the car myself.

Tom
Tom,

I did not intend to indicate that the problem was exactly solenoid related and my main intent was to caution against spending money needlessly. There appears to be no exact advice, that the problem occurs only when the transmission is hot, but such is very likely. It is unfortunate that those endeavoring to assist, continually face the problem of inexact information.

Worn friction surfaces; inadequate line pressure due to many possibilities; whatever. As you correctly stated,---- " without seeing/hearing/feeling the car" ----Who knows? We can only guess.

What surprises me, is that none of those who have exact hands on knowledge of the internals, have exactly/properly defined the most common shortcomings/problems. All we on record is generalities and advice that the SVX tranny is NBG. The information posted here is usually confined to, "blown transmission replaced ". Rather than, ----- within the transmission failed, causing------, because------, due to -------. If ---------, had been attended to, this may not have happened.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!