View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Them was the days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mummert View Post
I've been cleaning house, & sorting though piles of old photos & letters contained in about a dozen shoe boxes. I got to a stack of letters (remember letters?)sent by me to my folks during my military years of the sixties. (Mom saved everything). I began to read them all. One missive from the summer of '64 was sent home after I arrived back at my base in Monterey, CA; having driven there cross country from The Wash. DC area. in my '59 Olds 88, a distance of about 2900 miles. I gave dad the trip stats..... "The car ran great, Dad, only used 1.5 quarts of oil, & got 15.1 mpg at 80-90 mph" "Total gas bill was $75.00!" "But that included an expensive run through Wyoming where gas was 44 cents a gallon!!!"

Drill baby drill!

Ron.
When my brother was in the Navy in 63, he came home on leave and saw a 59 Impala 2 dr HT sitting on a car lot. It was black with a 348. He slipped a some 'payola' to a salesman to secure the purchase. He bought the car.
He drove the car for YEARS!! He drove it to and from Maine, where he was stationed, commuted to Balt from Cumberland. (Changed the oil every week),
Drove the car over 200K. About 25 years ago, he backed it into his garage and shut it off. It still sleeps there.....

All the 'pitted' chrome was pulled and rechromed and put in a cabinet, all rusted and busted stuff was purchased and stashed in the attic.
This could be the year that I SHAME him into pulling it into the spraybooth!

This could be the year that I pull my 61 Ford Convertable out of it's cave and run it through the booth.

I bought the car in 72 for 100$, I was a senior in high school.

Gas was 24CENTS a gallon! My big expense was back TIRES!
Bro's big deal was transmissions, followed by tires.

GOOD memories!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry