View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: I am ready to blow this car up. Won't start now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
`

Tony you say "I couldn't move the gear selector" This indicates something probably mechanical as well as electrical.

Check that the inhibitor switch which moves along with the selector, for mechanical operation. Is it jammed damaged or whatever?

Cheers, Trevor.
Yes, I agree that the stiff gear selector is definitely a mechanical issue. I have read the cable can bind up and especially if the car sits. We have had a TON of rain this year so it wouldn't surprise me if that affected the cable.

What has me more baffled is why the car suddenly won't start. It started for me once today without an issue. I checked the ATF level and decided it was low so I turned the car off and added fluid. The car will not start now.

I tested the battery and it can provide 688 CCA. Like I said earlier, I put a clamp style amp meter on the ground wire and only about an additional 10A are drawn when I try to turn the ignition switch to "start". When in the "ON" position, everything on the dash lights up, I can hear the fuel pump and the car draws about 10A. It goes up to about 20A when I try to start the car. I never noticed this before but the climate control, clock and radio turn off when the ignition switch is turned to "start". I assume that is normal.

As an aside, when I have the ignition turned to "ON", I can hear a click when I press the button on the gear selector but I can't move the selector at all.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything