View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 10:42 PM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by UberRoo
One thing that would help us all, is a better description of the clicking noise. I know that's a pretty tall order, but anything will help. Does it sound like plastic on plastic, metal on metal, plastic on metal, or vice versa? Does it sound like a heavy object (more of a "thunk,") or a light object, (more of a "tink?") Also, is there anything you can do to make it click more often, or less often? Does turning very gradually help? How about braking slowly? Even when you really floor the gas pedal, will it sometimes not make the noise?
The sound is a very sharp "tink" kind of click. Very short. Could be metal on metal, but could be metal on plastic as well. Probably not plastic on plastic. The closest thing that I can compare this noise to is the spacebar on this keyboard. I'm at my girl's house, and she has a Sony Vaio (in case any of you have a Vaio as well). When I lightly tap the very corner of the spacebar with my thumb, it makes a similar noise.

When the car does start this clicking party, nothing really helps. Accelerating more slowly doesn't make it go away, brake more lightly doesn't help, and turning more smoothly doesn't help either. When it starts, it just keeps going.

I'll have to look for M&M's in my dash when I check for those little felt pads.