Thread: She was fast
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX
Re: She was fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnycash View Post
Back on the road. Got it all buttoned up last night and took her for a ride this morning. Turned out to be a loosened tourque converter bolt that wedged itself in the bell housing (thank you aamco transmissions) Put the old motor back in... now time to freshen up the new one and drop it in maybe next week sometime. This is my first svx and the first major repair ive done to it, and I have to say that it is a pleasure to work on. Bolts come right out... everything is fairly accessable. Love this car!
You got lucky, I got my SVX for cheap cuz the shop that replaced the flex plate didn't quite get the torque converter fully seated into the hydraulic pump, it was seated enough to turn the pump, but off enough that it put enough load on the pump to sieze it in the housing. Good tip when mating an engine to an automatic trans, it should slide all the way home and not require being cinched down with the bolts, and there should be a slight amount of clearance between the flex plate and the flats in the converter for the bolts.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta