View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 10:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
gas tank questions

something very strange, or maybe not so strange, happened to be the other day. i went down into colorado springs to pick up a fuel pump for my girlfriends s10, on my way up i stopped at a gas station and put a gallon or 2 to ensure that i would have enough to make it to my favorite gas station where i would fill up the tank. when i took the gas cap off, gas started spewing everywhere! and it wasnt just a quick spew, it was a rushing of air for probably 10 seconds or so with a mixture of gas coming out. it was enough to get me, make a little puddle mark on the ground and to run down the side of the car. i have never had this happen before and im wondering if something is going wrong. to ad to the confusion, when i finally made it to my gas station, i went to fill it up and i could only get about 10 cents in gas at a time because the gas pump kept shutting off as if the tank where full. i ended up having to back the filler out of the tank, and slowly filling the gas to keep it flowing. i only put 20 bucks in also because it took so long. i have not put more gas in or removed the gas cap since then, but could this be an indication of a problem? maybe a fuel filter being so clogged that the fuel pump is building up too much pressure or something?

i might also mention that it was very hot that day, in the 90's according to the svx, and i started at about 9k feet, drove down to about 7k feet (whatever colorado springs is at, im not for sure on that) then back up to 9k feet where i took the cap off the refill for the first time when it spewed. this was all within probably an hour or an hour and a half.