View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 11:42 AM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248
It seems that the tone in this country is that there is such thing as someone who "doesn't have a religion". That's simply not true. Religion is a system of beliefs. Atheists want everyone to think that they have no religion, but by the literal definition of religion, the belief of no religion is in itself, a religion. So then why do Christians have to yield to Atheists? Why is the religion of Atheism more important than Christianity?
Wow. That's 100% wrong. Completely. Totally. You're not understanding what athiests believe AT ALL. A religon is not only a set of moral values... it's ALSO a belief in a HIGHER POWER. Atheisists also have moral values, but the values aren't 'set' by one person/book/cult. Most of them make up their own minds and figure out what makes sense to them, UNLIKE the religous masses who blindly repeat whatever their religous leader tells them. Atheists DO NOT believe in a higher power.

So the idea of calling 'atheism' a religion is about as absurd as calling any AWD vehicle a Subaru. Sure, most Subarus have AWD, but that doesn't mean that every AWD vehicle is a Subaru. Atheism is a belief system, and the MAIN difference is that they LACK any sort of belief in a higher power.

Here's a dictionary to help you understand:

Religion:

# Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

Atheism:
1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Another common ignorant statement I hear quite often is 'atheists claim there is no god! But there has to be a god in order for htem to say that!', which is also pretty retarded. If I say "I don't believe that a fuzzy purple monster lives in your anus and shoots fireballs at only one type of mosquito", that doesn't mean that the purple monster exists, it means that I don't believe there is a purple monster.

- Jim

PS: I'm not an atheist. Nor am I a christian. I'm just some guy, ya know?