View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 06:51 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
It is odd that the "bright" control does not work.

However, when this happened in my car (that is, ALL the illumination lights stopped working), it was because the Time Control Unit was fried. I'm guessing yours probably died too.
Agreed, but to make sure check as follows:-

According to the diagram I have, the AT select lever illumination light and the combination meter illumination, is supplied via the same circuit as most or all of the switch indicator lights. This circuit is supplied with B+ from fuse No. 9, which is activated via the tail and associated lighting relay. The negative line terminates at terminal 20 on the timer/dimmer unit and this supplies B- to all of the dimmed lamps circuit.

This means that if this circuit is not energised due to a fault within the timer/dimmer unit, all dimmed illumination lamps will not be operating. If several of these lamps are working, the fault can not involve the timer/dimmer unit. This factor should therefore be investigated by way of confirmation, before replacing the timer unit.

P.S. In view of the fact that the timer unit is difficult to access, a good test would be to ground the negative line at some point, whereby all should operate when the tail lights are switched on. First check for voltage to ground, in order to identify the negative from the positive lines. The gear shift illumination may provide an access point.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 09-13-2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: P.S. Added