View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger
It doesn't look all that bad, but the estimate was over $6600 and the insurance companies own adjuster had over $5500. We hit it with the driver's side front headlight. Hood, grill, bumper, left fender, radiator, a/c, battery, headlight, headlight support, expansion tank, and some other items, plus labor. The headlight alone is almost $200.
Are these all quotes for 'brand new' parts? Did you bother throwing together an estimate with used parts? I've had good luck with car-parts.com, and the price for a 2001 driver's side headlight on a subie forester runs from $40-$80. Hood? $150. Bumper? $200, with cover and reinforcement bar.

It's cool you got a new car and all, I just kinda doubt that it needed $6,000 to be fixed. I hit somebody in an old car I had once... it was technically totalled.... they said it'd cost me $3-4,000 to fix. I paid $700 to have it straightened, and a new radiator and stuff installed so it was driveable, then over the next 2 weeks sourced a hood in the correct color, and got the fender painted for $200. Poof. Under $1000 and it was back on the road.