View Single Post
Old 09-09-2002, 11:39 AM
nota5speed

Exclamation New owner, electrical problems. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

well i'm buying a car from my dad's friend, he says he was driving the car one day and everything went haywire. It blew the fusible link and a bunch of fuses. He replaced the alternator and the car runs but it will kill the battery after sitting for a few hours and a bunch of stuff doesn't work.

I've check all the fuses and relays that I can find, and cleared up a bad ground or two, and got the power steering, cruise control, defrost and a few other things to work again. The power problem actually fried some relays (like the one for a radiator fan) and made it stay on all the time.

So heres what it comes down to:

Right now the transmission does not shift correctly. It shifts way too soon, and will kill the car sometimes if you slow to a stop rapidly. I would assume it just needs an adjustment but the Previous owner said everything was fine before the "surge." So I'm guessing its electrical, having to do with the electronic part of the transmission.

Also, the passenger side door is stuck in the lock position. You can unlock it if you turn the key hard and then pull the doorhandle, but it returns to the locked position. Also, the drivers side door will not lock. No matter what. Ive tried everything. The Airbag and ABS lights stay on at all times. The ABS box LED under the passenger seat does not blink at all, which indicates the wrong voltage, or none...? Among other things, the gear indicator on the dashboard doesnt work, the alarm works but it won't lock or unlock the doors.

Sorry for the long post, but I am desperate. The car is so fun to drive, it puts my bimmer to shame and nobody knows what the hell it is!!!! If anyone can think of anything else to check, or has a clue or a guess to whats going on, please let me know. Somebody on this board has had this problem before (I saw a post from a few months ago with similar problems)

Thanks for your help
-Matt