View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
So how did it go you might be asking. A whole day behind the wheel of a Forester XT.

The 1st few miles felt rather strange, high up compared to the SVX, but I soon got used to it. I approached my favorite 'chucking' corners with some trepidation. Would I be able to chuck such a tall car around or would my wife be doing the chucking? I was pleasantly suprised, almost no body roll and high levels of grip, with progressive and balanced break-away. Shame about the noisy rubber.

As things warmed up (nice heated seats) I upped the pace a little. I took it quite steady as the engine was still tight with less than 200 miles on the clock. Nice brisk acceleration, but not as frantic as I was suspecting. "But what is this I see at the side of the gear stick?" the 'Power' button seemed just a little too inviting so putting caution to the wind, I gave it a prod. It was like waking a sleeping madman. The engine started singing, the revs leapt and I was pressed back into the seat, it was more than just the higher shift point as in the SVX, there was a complete change of personality.

The next test was some off-roading, which was dispatched with ease, the only problem was when the sump guard grounded over some vicious ruts, it does have a sump guard, doesn't it?

The day was finished off with a quick stop off at home to wash off the mud and then back to the dealers.

The Verdict

One he11 of a car. The road manners of a tourer, the performance of a hot hatch and as good off-road ability as I will ever need. The only weak point is those tyres. They give up grip too early and sound like a stuck pig. Easy changed if a problem.

The seats are comfortable, excellent climate control and all with estate car practicality.

I liked it so much that I have ordered one, for delivery in two weeks. Don't tell Randy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954