View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 07:57 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX
Re: Write Up: How to Repair Cracked Package Tray Speaker Covers

Step Six: Stretching the fabric
DO NOT RE-INSTALL THE METAL GRILL, It will break all of your hard work (ask me how I know this).
Sand the back of the plastic casing with red scotch brite or 180 grit sandpaper. Use a clean paper towel and Windex to clean the back of the grill where you just sanded, this is very important for a strong bond. Heat up your industrial hot glue gun and make sure it is at full temp before you start. To check squirt a little bit on your hand and see if it leaves a blister. If it does, then it is ready (I'm just kidding, don't do this).

Trim a piece of fabric about a inch bigger all around than the grill.

Think of gluing the fabric down like torqueing lug-nuts. Follow the same sort of pattern. Once you get the glue in the initial spots, run beads of glue in between each one, following the same sort of pattern as before.

Next you want to trim away the excess with a blade of some kind. Be careful not to cut the fabric on the top. If that happens you will have to remove everything and start over. To do that, soak the whole thing in rubbing alcohol (or vodka if you’re Russian) and it should just easily peel away from the plastic frame. Anyway, the hard part is done.

Optional step: Re-gluing the carpet back on the package tray

After about 20 some odd years, the adhesive that holds down the carpet on the rear tray will probably be coming loose on the SVX. Now is a good time to remedy this situation. Mask off all of the tray that you don’t want to spray adhesive on (unless you need some flypaper in your car), then spray both sides and wait the time directed on the can before you put things together.

Step Seven: Reinstalling the covers

Basically you just do the reverse of what you did before. If you feel any binding on screw as you are putting it in, take your propane torch and heat up the screw until it’s not quite red hot and then slowly screw it in. This should prevent the plastic from cracking.

Step Eight: Everything else
Just do everything else the opposite of what you did before. You’ve made it this far, I bet you can figure it out.

Can you believe it, you’re actually done and your car looks just a little less old! Any questions feel free to contact me through pm or in this thread.