View Single Post
Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Key jammed in ignition switch

I just encountered the same problem with my '96 LSi after starting it up after winter storage . The key would not release from the lock cylinder . However in this case the whole cylinder was loose and felt like it would come out completely . Thanks to some excellent advice from svxfiles I was able to fix the problem and now the key works just fine .

There are two 8mm bolts holding the lock cylinder in place , both had come loose and were laying inside the steering column shroud . These factory installed bolts have no indentations on the heads so cannot be retightened and must be replaced , I used M8-1.25 X 25 MM socket cap screws from Ace Hardware . In order to access the bolt locations you have to remove the plastic steering column shrouds ( 4 in all ) it is a little tricky to wiggle them free after undoing the screws that hold them in place , but patience is rewarded . Also I had to get the key out of the lock in order to remove the lower shroud , but I reached up underneath to release the key as noted in the earlier posts . So if you can't get the key out and your lock cylinder feels loose this could be the solution .