View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Re: Fluctuating blower motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
Guys,

I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered but my search is not revealing anything. I think my search string is not adequate so if this issue has been covered in the past, please point me to it.

The blower motor in my '92 has been fluctuating. Rather than trying to explain the symptoms, I made a short video clip of it. The video will show you the fluctuating speed of the blower as well as the dimming of the lights. There is no discernible blower related squeaks or odd sounds coming from the blower area. Even if I select a fan speed manually, the symptoms still continue to occur. As you can see, the engine idle speed is very steady.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks.

Video link
Could simply be an alternator problem... Does it fluctuate when you are driving steadily down the road. The "bearings in the blower are bronze bushings that are made to absorb oil from a wick, not roller or ball bearings. When the wick runs out of oil, there could be a problem of fluctuating blower rpm because of the extra heat causing the bearing to grip the rotor shaft. Normally it would not make additional sounds unless the wear was so excessive that the rotor actually was dragging.
Driving steady and observing the same think would give you a better clue. Idling rpm with would probable make the alternator more suspect.

Good luck,
Keith