View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 12:38 PM
leiavoia

Transmission slipping - need advice

I bought a 92 SVX last december. It drove fine for a while, but now the tranny is starting to slip often on low gears. It almost got me in an accident last week when i tried to turn through crosstraffic and the car wouldn't move. Oncoming cars... reving engine... a very scary moment.

I need to know what to do about it now as far as service is concerned. I'm not machanically literate enough to do any sort of work on it myself. I can either have it serviced at the dealer or the shop that i've been taking my previous car ('90 Legacy) to. I at least know they do a good job, but i would like someone with some experience/knowledge on SVX's in particular, if possible. But i also know dealers can be expensive.

Here is what i know so far:

- 64,000k miles on car
- Transmission fluid is new/red and to level (previous owner did work on transmission himself and changed all fluids and cleaned engine exterior before he sold it. From what i gather, he bought the car from someone who did not want to deal with the trany issues and who simply sold it instead. He fixed trany and sold it to me.)
- Car slips on low gears. I notice it driving around residential areas and taking off from red lights. I doesn't shift up very well. A few weeks ago it wouldn't get past 1st or 2nd and wouldn't shift right until i parked the car, turned it off and then turned it back on.
- Doesn't shift up well when i "gun it" from a dead stop. The RPMs will hit 6k+ if i just mash the pedal down. I have to ease up on it to let it shift up. When i first bought it, the engine felt like it wanted to jump right out of the car! (that's good) Now it just revs up a lot but doesn't move well :-(

This is a serious issue for my own personal safety, as i noted above. It's happening more and more and needs service.

Do you have any advice as to what i should do? What it might take to fix? Who should service it? I anticipate this being a spendy job, so i'm consulting the experts first :-)

Thanks for your help.