View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Re: 20th anniversary concept of the 2012 SVX Hybrid 2dr Coupe ???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I like Fanatic's ideas a lot. All of that stuff is available on current models and is very realistic if a new SVX was to be in the same spirit as the original. In other words, Subaru's flagship vehicle priced twice as much as anything else in their lineup at the time.

Along those same lines though, I do agree with what Stilor said about possibly having "too many" options. Sticking to the original spirit of the SVX as a limited production flagship, less options might be better for both cost control and keeping it more exclusive. Stick with one engine, preferably whatever will make it the fastest car in the company's lineup for years to come, hopefully something based on an H6 for nostalgia's sake. Of course the option of a manual in addition to the auto would be good though as history has shown.

Of course knowing Subaru of late, it could have all of these things included and they'd still manage to somehow completely screw up the body design and make it ugly as sin.
The thing is, that aside from the butterfly doors, the premise of what I suggest is not that much new.

Most of the features exist on Subaru cars, or on other cars near Subaru's price tag. The integration of the chassis systems may be a little more tied together and adaptable than current, but that is mostly software programming.

I think limiting to one engine, or one gearbox is TOO much of a limit, and would potentially lose sales. Most of Subaru's lineup have at least two engine options, except for Tribeca, due to it's heft, and role as a CUV, having only the big H6 and Automatic gearbox.

If anything Subaru could EXPAND it's drivetrain/engine combo lineup. For instance, Forester doesn't get the 5MT Sport Shift auto, NOR does it get a 5 or 6-speed manual on the XT turbo model. 4-speed auto only.

WRX and Impreza GT should be the same car, and with a 5-speed auto or 5-speed manual, have the same 268 rated horsepower.

The Legacy 3.6 H6 should get a Spec B model sport package, with a manual gearbox option, as well as the 2.5 GT Turbo being similarly equipped with both 5-speed auto and 6-speed manual options. But Subaru seems to be trying to grenade the 2.5 GT turbo model, by the product planning choices that they are making, and I doubt we will ever see a Subaru with both an H6 and a manual gearbox on the same car, in the US. But it does, or at least it has previously existed overseas, as the B4 Legacy/Liberty 3.0R Spec B. (Liberty being the Australian name that Legacy is sold under.)

With chassis and component sharing with the rest of the Subaru line, and a little careful thought about systems integration, and proper product planning geared toward success, rather than selling to the lowest common denominator, and de-contenting certain models to make them justifiable to cancel in the future...

The car above that I propose, with proper styling, would not need to cost twice as much as other Subarus. Similar to WRX STI or G37x Coupe, perhaps... but 35-40K, not $70-80K.

I'd save up and pay for a car like that, if it were built right, screwed together well (no squeeks, and mis-fitting panels, parts, cheap plastic vulnerable pieces, etc...), and offered good styling, AWD, coupe good looks, AWD capability, and performance handling and power levels.

with a base H4 DOHC non-turbo engine for economy (gotta play the economy game with government regs... CAFE standards, and all...)
And the choice of either H4 Turbo for the power-rush and tuning crowd, and an H6 for the long-legged highway mileage grand touring folks... with a choice of either manual or automatic shifting... I think that is a pretty good mix to cover the vast majority of potential buyers.

GenCoupe doesn't offer AWD, nor does it have a liftback hatch, like the bodystyle seems to suggest. (and a tiny trunk lid portal makes a decent size trunk a moot point... SVX shows that, too...)

G37 doesn't offer a smaller engine option, you have to go to a FWD Altima coupe. G37x doesn't offer a stick, nor as much sport equipment as a sport package G37s 6-speed, but what if I want both AWD, and the manual gearbox and big brakes?

And I don't really feel like living 40 years in the past, with Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, and none of those offer AWD versatility, let alone a low boxer-engined center of gravity, or an aerodynamic profile, and modern features.

A revival of SVX could be the car that hits that bulls-eye that the others that I just mentioned don't quite hit. With platform sharing and a bit more option diversity, it could actually have a bit more wide appeal than the original was able to get, being so uniquely different, and thus expensive to build and support, and without a manual gearbox that other cars like 300ZX, Supra, and Stealth/3000GT offered, even on their less-than-top-end models without the big turbocharged power. Even T-Bird SuperCoupe offered the option for a stick shift that SVX did not. Subaru may not have had the gearbox for that duty then, but they do now, and the also have chassis underpinnings that are capable of being upgraded for GT/Sport Coupe duty.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.