View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX
Lost electricity briefly on highway last night

I was sitting at a busy stoplight last night on my way home and my car stalled out. I went to restart and with a click; I lost all power. The light turned green and there I was on the Pacific Coast Highway, at night, in a black car, with no lights during, rush hour, dead.

Here's a little back story. She's done this to me before. A year and a half ago it did the exact same thing a lot in fact. I would drive for five minutes or so and there it'd go again. So I replaced the battery with an Optima Red Top. It happened once more the day I got that and I finally diagnosed it as the negative terminal connector. I replaced that and hadn't had a problem since.

Meanwhile, back on the highway... I jumped out once the light turned red again and performed some percussive maintenance on the negative terminal and everything came to life. I ran back into the car and went to fire it up but, "click" and I'm dead again. No time to get out before the cars start screaming past at 55mph, with more than one of them actually locking up the brakes behind me I stayed it out for another light cycle. Next red light it was some more refined percussive maintenance and jiggling in the dark and the fans and lights popped back on. I continued my fiddling with it until the last moment and as the light turned green again I jumped back in and she roared to life. I drove in the right lane with my eye on turnoffs the rest of the way home, trying not to come to a complete stop for the remaining traffic lights.

My buddy is coming over in his BRAT, and he'll follow me to our mechanic friend's house to look at it. I'm thinking I should check out the ground cables coming from the battery. Maybe by futzing with the terminal I'm tugging the other end to get my connection. I really don't know too much, but we'll test current all around there and see what we can find. There's no aftermarket security, and aside from the battery and connector it's still mostly stock in front of the firewall.

Maybe I should just do the alternator wiring upgrade, a maniac alt, and some other replaced cabling/connectors just to eliminate the problem with authority.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.