View Single Post
Old 09-02-2003, 09:41 PM

Registered SVX
Fixing The TPS

Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
Brand new 5 days ago... set to 0.500 VDC Thanks. Of course if you suggested chicken blood at this point I'd be cruising the barnyards

Collins
Greetings Collins and also Rob, as I have brought him into this query.

You guys should have on hand TPS units which you have replaced and which you could experiment with. When I had mine out I was short of time and needed the car so did no more than wash it out.

It appeared to me that it would come to pieces if the return spring is slipped out. It would be necessary to check the number of turns wound on the spindle before doing so in order to put it back as was. However the spring pressure would not be that critical.

Inside there will be a resistance element which can be dirty, or worse worn. Also a spring loaded contact, fixed to the spindle, will travel around the resistance. If spring tension is weak this will cause poor contact and a problem. However it should be possible to restore lost pressure with a little careful bending.

You should also check for reliable contact/connection between the moving wiper and the associated outgoing terminal.

If you can find the time to check on what I have described and report back you will be doing a service to members as a " how to fix the TPS " could save money and who knows the supply of spares may become exhausted. You guys have the knowledge to work out how the thing works and it will all be obvious to you when you examine its guts.

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks -- Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!