View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Locker Link Solution

I have been using a sprung 6 puck for like 3/4 years and the worst of it is getting the car moving, no matter what gear you're in it is pretty violent... I often just start off in 2nd though. 1st to 2nd is harsh, after that it is somewhat on off, but it doesn't rip the tires up... you just get a surge of power
... (from 2006)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
...I assume you are using the wrx flywheel and clutch which should be just fine for normal driving. It will slip and lose any power you throw at it as soon as you go showing off though. To make use of more horsepower you will need 1 of two things or both.... 1 is a better gripping surface on your clutch wheel, the other is a tighter gripping pressure plate. I have both. I run a sprung (has spings in it for less shock) 6 puck copper ceramic wheel and my housing is rated at I think it was 1700lbs. could have been more, it may well have even been 2100 I can't remember now, but I do remember the builder told me it would be good for about 320 hp, he said I could get about 450 out of it with another pressure plate (housing) So that is always an upgrade option to switch just that and save some money. I use a different clutch than you, so it wouldn't be exactly the same, but there it is. You should take a year to learn how to drive your 5 spd svx before trying this anyway. An pay no attention to "stage 1"...2...3... junk anyway. All that is most the time is to sucker you in to buying what you don't need... or less than what you need !! Look for real numbers, not "32% increase" and crap like that. That is just for people who don't know any better. Maybe I'll post a bit more later, but for now... I hope this answers a little.
If you have already run through your first clutch since then, you'll be replacing a puck clutch in no time. The Act presure plate is used in a bunch of odd combos and is ussually where most of the extra grip comes from. That is what was recommended to me as an upgrade by the builder as the next step without going crazy.

Add the ACT upgraded presure plate to the organic as mentioned and that should be a pretty good combo for your plans. When the time comes to pull the engine to perform the upgrade which actually necesitates the need for a heavier clutch, then just upgrade the disc and have your plate and flywheel machined while they are out of the car!
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?