View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:08 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Burned Headlight Socket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
I did purchase an HID kit with lower wattage bulbs and ballasts. I have two questions still.

1. Where would I find the ground to check if the connection is good

2. I havent been able to find a headlight socket as of yet, does anyone know specifically where to find one?

Im really just hoping that the jacked up bulb is causing this, but that doesnt explain how it happened in the first place (unless I didnt notice it when i bought the car 2 years ago)

The rest of the posts are basically greek to me. I only lasted through one semester of electrical engineering
1. Forget the ground connection as this is not involved.

2. Over and out on this one. Someone please come to the rescue.

3. All through the problem appears to have been caused by a bad socket. However the higher wattage bulb will not have helped the situation. Replace the bad with new and you should be good to go. If you have to use a used socket, read what I have said about contact problems and check it carefully as advised. Obviously, check that the bulb you use is not damaged and making bad contact. No more than common sense is involved.

The cause in the first place, would most likely have been a faulty socket making bad contact. The contact sprig pressure is likely to have deteriorated and the problem got worse over a period of time.(The socket was probably no Bloody good way back and got itself properly stuffed as it got older.)

P.S. --- I have taken the extra time to again read your original post wherein you say,---- "When I changed the socket as they are silverstars and one of the prongs of the bulb was a lil messed up but I didnt think that would cause this to happen would it?"

Yes it most certainly could be a likely cause. The bulb may have been fitted by a butcher. Please read and understand what I have detailed regarding contact pressure.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-09-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: P.S. Added