View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Burned Headlight Socket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Not true at all... wattage does not determine the internal resistance of the bulb, so put a hold on the bow for svxfiles!

Mr Ohm got it right! In a fixed voltage situation, the internal resistance of the bulb determines the wattage, not the opposite as you stated, Trevor.
As svxfiles has now acknowledged, he was clearly referring to the specified wattage as is applied by a manufacturer in relation to their product. The definitive text, ---”They are listed as 55 watt bulbs and the Silver Stars have 65 watts, as I remember.” makes this absolutely clear.

Quote:
Increasing the voltage, which is not a part of this equation because we have a fixed voltage sourse, would increase the wattage but not necessary proportionally to the voltage increase, because of the composition of the filament in the lamp.
Keith your argument is in no way applicable, is simply a side step and what is more contains further errors. Others are able to read and assimilate and you are sadly illustrating senility.

We, you, nor anyone else involved with an SVX "has a fixed voltage sourse" (N.B. source). Try 12 - 14+ volts. Or is it that you are on a sauce?

For the information of others who may be interested. At start up, a cold incandescent lamp exhibits an abnormally low resistance. Therefore there is a substantial inrush current at switch on, and this must be taken into account when considering the switching components involved. The bulb specification indicates the wattage (normal current consumption), when the lamp is operating and energised at whatever is the nominated voltage, 14 volts being usual in automotive applications. Operating normally, the bulb filament has maximum resistance and current is at a minimum value.

Keith claims that I copy and paste the information I post. He is wrong and I hereby claim copyrights. N.B.--- ©. Howsat!

Quote:
A bad connection that causes heat on a contact, actually will add resistance to the then-series circuit, thereby reducing the power which is measured in watts.
The power within the circuit was in no way refereed to or involved in the situation or reference raised by svxfiles. The subject clearly involves specified bulb wattage.

Quote:
Trevor, you should also know these facts. Keith
Again the never ending stupid sarcasm. Keith, please take care, you are pissing into the wind when trying to teach and electrical engineer his business.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 08-09-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Addition