View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: OBDII Mt conversion???

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
If you look at what would happen. The ECU has to interrogate all the cars units, by request, they all can't just send their reports together. It has to be a bi-directional line.
The ECU calls all units in turn, and they reply.

Harvey.
I don't know why but I will respond to this. The line in question is only running between the TCU and ECU. It does not connect to the ABS, Cruise or climate control computers. Therefore, it does not need to be bi-directional. The SSM lines are the ones that network these OBD2 computers together and the SSM link is indeed bi-directional. Also, if the ECU only has one thing to say to the TCU, which is "what is your status?", and it wanted to know this status on a very regular basis, why would it need to say anything? All of the critical parameters for operation are sent on dedicated lines (MAF, TPS, RPM, the ALL IMPORTANT TORQUE CUT and others). The only thing missing from OBD1 TCUs is their ability to send error codes back to the ECU. So why not think it is possible that the TCU is only sending error codes over this line?

I think it would be helpful to present opinions and assumptions as such and facts as such so as not to confuse people and cloud the subject. Too many assumptions are framed as known facts.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 08-14-2013 at 07:27 AM.