View Single Post
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Mike,

I had the front section of an Outback DS shortened at:
Drive Line Service of Atlanta
6285 Buford Hwy 770-242-9365

They did a fair job. The DS is balanced, no vibrations. They have a high speed balancer. The bad? They left tiny metal shavings in the tube when they welded it up. Sounded like someone was rigging a bell as I came to a stop. I was pissed for about 4 months until the fragments turned to steel dust and stopped making noise. Also, they didn't tell me there was a balancing fee. So I thought they were doing everything for $70. Got there to pick it up and the bill was $130. That's when they told me about the balancing fee. Raised hell and they dropped it. But I left with a bad taste in my mouth.

The other place I wanted to go to was:
Doraville Drive Line & Springs
6910 Buford Hwy 770--441-2501

My friend recommended them. But I got there with the DS in hand and told him what I wanted and he was concerned that he couldn't do the lengthening because he did'nt have any tube to match the subaru diameter. For the Outback DS lengthen, all they did at Atlanta DS was take about 5/8 off the front section where the u joint connects. I have about 3/8" play, front to back.

Also said the carrier bearing might make it hard for him to balance. I don't really understand why you can't just index the front section to the back and just have them balance the front. Anyway, his balancer only goes up to 500rpm. He said this didn't matter but I figured I'd sleep better if I new it had been high speed balanced, 3000rpm.

Let me know were you end up going.

Congrats on the engine start up...Sweet

Let me know when you get it road worthy. We'll have to hook up. I'm not much for racing but love driving the SVX.

Marc

Last edited by svxcuseme; 02-27-2007 at 08:52 AM.