View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
The most prolific NA cars in the US that benefit from performance camshafts are mustangs/camaros/firebirds. And even though those manufacturers probably sell over 10,000 performance camshafts a year, you'll be hard pressed to find a good set for under $500. His price on the camshafts is actually very reasonable - and from a question I posed to Dayle in another thread, he has come across no performance camshafts in either the JDM or Canadian markets. This guy is truly making a one-off product...
One thing you are forgetting is the LS1/LT1 Camaro/Firebird engines are Pushrod motors...single cammers. So the $300 price i'm paying for my LPE cam for my trans am only gets me one piece...compared to $500 for four cams? I'd say that's a great deal. Try comparing the price to a mild cam set for the 1995-1998 Mustang Cobras (DOHC motor), that could give you a better idea. Based on the numbers I think it's safe to say that the cams in question will make a difference...but I think most are right in saying the effect may be undesireable to many. In truth it seems (to me) that these cams would be pretty nice for a 5 or 6-speed car, but probably dissapointing on the autos.

I have to disclaim - though I have an extensive knowledge of engine build, it is limited in a very classic way. I'm not up on DOHC engines and how cams really effect the motor, beccause it's not just a simple equation, there's all kinds of tricks used on these engines to make more power or efficiency, which I have little knowledge of. Just knowing that, I sure wouldn't be spending $2500 on a set of heads like this, nor would I buy the cam set, because though it's a good deal and wouldn't hurt that much to be out the money, the installation process is not something i'd want to do more than once. Ever.