Thread: Career Advice
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 10:04 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Rob, I saw a title of a book once (no, I didn't read it - are you kidding?) called, Do What you Love; The Money Will Follow. Or something like that.

Anyway, I wouldn't go into a job just for the money. Granted, money's always nice, but it'll seem like nothing in the face of a job you don't enjoy. I don't whether or not you'd enjoy dentistry. If you think you would, go for it. But my instinct is to go for what you know you want to do.

Another thing - whether or not you think you're better than your friend means very little. Right now I have a dozen or so friends, who I think are much more talented or experienced than I am, without a job since June. I got one right away. Does that mean I'm better? I don't think so. I'm in a pretty merit-based industry, but sometimes circumstances don't conspire to give the best people good jobs.

I've contradicted myself a little, but I hope I made a little sense. In my opinion, good money isn't worth doing a job you don't enjoy. You spend so much of your life working, you might as well do something you love.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE