Thread: Changing Plugs
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
i run iridiums.
just incase you never get the info you need, heres what i did.

its not easy. youll need to remove the air filter and airbox. i have a cone and i just pushed it out of the way so im guessing youll need to. take out the batter if you want.
youll need a socket wrench (ratchet) of course and a plug socket. i at some point needed two extensions. you might need a screwdriver.
first thing to tackle is all the coils on one side. the black things covering the plugs. they are bolted in. i learned from someone to unscrew the bolt almost all the way, and use the last couple threads to catch the coil and pull it out. just yank them and they should pop out. move all the coils out of the way and get to the first plug. its in there deep and hard to feel around. i just dropped in the plug socket with the extension, then connected the ratchet. youll definitely have to do this on the farthest one in (plug on cyl #6). unless you want to use the access hole. i didnt do this because it was covered in some kind of hardened dirt that bonded to the plastic. >_<
just have patience and try different things if you have to. the first time will always be the hardest but after that youll either always do it yourself, or never want to again. 0_o
when you pull the plugs out make sure there is no tape. one of my boots was ripped and the last owner put tape on it and it was touching the plug, burning it. i just scraped it off because it was brittle and crusty.
to put them in put one into the plug socket and just feel around. they almost fit horizontally. put them all in and put all the coils back on (with bolts, mine was missing one) and reconnect everything. good to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plug #3.jpg (60.2 KB, 154 views)

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.