View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Happyness is a car that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop View Post
Sorry to say that I disagree Benebob. I use it for the main characteristic that water doesn't bond with synthetic as well as it does with regular oil. That's why you can run it so much longer in your car. And if you drive a lot, you don't have to change it for 25K. I do that with our Honda Accord. It's got 140k on it now and still purring like a kitten (due for an oil change in another 10k). The hardest part is not changing it every 5k. So, going with the amsoil, I skip 4 oil changes saving what, 24 quarts of oil for every 25k that I drive? I think that if you add up all that oil, the filters, and your time under the car you'll find that I'm coming out ahead with the Amsoil. And Hey, I'm not a rep or dealer, I just use the stuff. Also, I'm kind of lazy so I don't want to spend all that time under the car if I can be driving instead.

Hop, Check out my last post. My wifes 03 Legacy gets driven probably similar to your commute. When I change it every 2-2.5k or 6 months it looks as nasty as the 3k regular fluid in my old world F-250, as nasty as the oil in my old world cb175 and much worse than the 6 month change my SVX gets. I wouldn't go a year per change with that commute if I were you! The engine doesn't reach operating temps and thus lots of water is floating around in there.

I'd suspect a well mantained Honda Accord with 140k on the odo would per with a kitten had the owner used recycled oil in it and always ran a quart low to boot. Remember even Quaker State offers a 300k engine warranty if you use it based on the manufactures recommended oil change intervals.

As I said, I'm not knocking anyone for using the stuff, I just don't see the economic sense in keeping an engine going beyond what the rest of the car can safely go. There is something to the frequency of changes but last time I checked Subaru recommends every 6 months or 7.5k on all their vehicles (granted that is 3.75k if you are considered heavy driving but I think they still say 6 months).

I just wish I could come up with a nice cheap reliable source for real good non-detergent oil for my filterless CB175. I hate running suspended metal through it!