View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by neffer View Post
Trevor, Here is an update. Borrowed another digital meter, was only able to get a reading on the 10 Amp scale. Reading was .350 with the door open and .02 with it closed. I am interpreting that as 20 milliamps which is what it should be. Alternator is putting out about 14.6 volts from memory. Mystery still exists why the battery is draining after a few days. This all started when driving the car, window started to go up slowly, air bag light came on , felt slugish for a few blocks, and it stalled out. With a boost it ran for 40 seconds and battery which was 20 months old quit again. Replaced battery with a new one and something is discharging it. I am really at a loss now what to search for next.
I am sorry I am inclined to give up. It impossible to diagnose an issue properly with so many confusing statements and curious symptoms.

“Borrowed another digital meter, was only able to get a reading on the 10 Amp scale.”
On the first meter used or the borrowed one? If you can not get a reading on a lower scale, you probably have the plug inserted in the separate socket for the 10 amp range which includes a heavy shunt resistance. If not, the meter is faulty.

I now must assume that with fuse No. 4 in place there is a reading of 200 milli amps, and with the fuse removed 20 milli amps, which means that you are involved with a leakage of 180 milli amps, i.e. provided the .02 amps measured is accurate.

I am unable to understand why the door circuits are being brought into the discussion, as the leak has been shown to be confined to circuits switched by the ignition key switch.

I gather the other strange previous symptoms you now report, have become corrected after the battery was replaced. Please confirm.

There have been several posts reporting a loose ignition switch causing strange faults. Carefully check the switch mounting bolts, connections and associated wiring for faults. Keep the meter in place registering the leakage while pushing stuff around and working the key about in the off position. You should be able to get the meter in a position whereby you can see it through the windscreen.

P.S. Sort the meters out and make sure you are using one which is accurate and is registering on the correct range.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-07-2008 at 06:26 PM. Reason: P.S.