View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: 96 SVX Ignition Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by swpyne View Post
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

My 96 SVX has recently been giving me some trouble with starting it up. When I put the key in and turn it, all the dashboard lights go on but it doesn't always start. There is sometimes an audible "groan" but that's it. If I turn it off and on three or four times I've so far been able to get it started.

Once it starts, the car runs great and if I turn it off while it's warm it always starts right back up.

If I leave it for a day or two, that's when I run into the problem. I don't know anything about the way the ignition works but it seems as though there is some kind of voltage problem. As though a charge in a coil or something is dissipating when the car is left for a couple days.

I looked on Ebay and found a bunch of ignition components including a new ignition switch, ignition coil and something called an ignition coil module center.

I'm looking for some insight and/or suggestions as to which component may be failing and causing this problem. I'd love to try to fix this myself if at all possible.

Thanks for listening............
I don't think it is an ignition problem.
If the starter is engaging and trying to turn the engine over, but it only turns slowly, there is a problem with the main battery to the starter wiring. Maybe battery terminals dirty, or a bad cell in the battery.

If there is just a click but no starter turning over, then it is a problem with the power to the starter solenoid. Either the Security relays contacts are pitted, or it needs a Bosch relay fitted to the solenoid.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.