Thread: Tractor City
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Re: Tractor City

That New Holland pretty much only plows snow/dirt, and tills fields. It's beefcake.

Yes, you can't compare the Case with a craftsman tractor, or even modern simplicities or bolens or JD's, because they're in diffent size class. However, the IH cub cadets, older simplicities, and things that were made iwth cast iron transmissions instead of some hapless belt driven system will last almost forever, and actually get the power to the ground.

The Lo-Boy is a hybrid, between the smaller garden tractors and the large farm tractors. I replaced all the grease in hte fittings this afternoon, made some deck adjustments, and mowed a field. It is larger, sure, however, if it can fit width wise, it can mow your lawn. 60" is pretty wide, but that thing can turn on a dime, better than any tractor I've ever encountered other than the trike style farm tractors, and they can do it because of their style. I would guess it to be around 80 degrees off strait for the wheels cut all the way one way. I have never seen that on a tractor before.

I love my Lo-Boy, for mowing, it's the absolute perfect tractor. The back field I mowed had been hit with a bush hog a week ago. I had the deck all the way down and it tore through giving a clean and even cut.

JD's are great, if you have a farm tractor or utility vehicle. However I have yet to see a garden tractor class JD that is worth it's weight in dog crap. And they cost much more than others in their class, because you are paying for a name.

As for parts, I don't know what brands you've had problems with, but any Allice Chambers, Ford, Farmall, IH, or Massey from 30 to 60 years old, you can get new old stock from quite a few places. New Holland has been my only problem, because Ariens needs to rot in an eternal hell for what they did to them.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!

Last edited by JaySVX; 05-17-2009 at 07:51 PM.