View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 05:50 AM

Re: Want to repaint mine... Some questions...

Question: How much does it cost to build a three-bedroom house?

Answer: As much as you wish to spend.

I think it's the same with having a car painted.

About a year ago I went looking for a quote to have my teal painted; same color, no rust, no collision repair, typical minor chips and dings. The first place I went, a local sole-proprietorship with a reputation for doing (his own) show-worthy restorations, wouldn't quote. The guy dismissed me with a wave and said he does only "collision repair." Wouldn't even come out to look. The message I took away was, repaint customers are a PITA. Another local "body shop" sang the very same tune but said one of their employees painted cars in a shed behind his house.

So I went to a joint in a nearby town which, judging by an ad I'd seen, focuses primarily on street rod/custom work. Made an appointment with the owner. He actually seemed interested in doing business, came out with a clipboard, and spent several minutes examining the car. I told him upfront that I didn't have a show car budget but wanted it done "right." He said they'd remove the door handles and such (no mention of glass), take the (badly worn/oxidized) hood, roof, and trunk down to the bare surface, fill the chips and dings, paint and clear-coat, even buff-out the headlights and sandblast and repaint the wheels. Quote: $1800 and change. Said if I'd drop it off Monday morning I could pick her up the following Monday.

That sounded good to me, but other priorities and concerns intervened and both of my cars still need painting. Gotta do something soon if I'm to keep them, though, and this expense coupled with the prospect of a blown head gasket or shiftless automatic in the near future are really gnawing at my gut. If I drop serious money on a car I MUST keep driving it. Simple economics for a man of modest means. So I keep thinking, well, this guy does take credit cards.

dcb

Last edited by dcarrb; 05-05-2010 at 05:59 AM.