View Single Post
Old 04-24-2003, 09:31 PM
alacrity024

ooooooooooo or what about the 'vette with the lotus-tuned motor?

hey..

i didn't want to make stuff up, so i just looked up the lotus-engined corvette on the internet... it was called the ZR-1.

for those of you who don't know, here's a brief history:

in 1991, a corvette cost about $30,000, putting it in a similar price class as our SVX's. If you had $60,000, you could buy two corvettes, OR you could spec the ZR-1 performance package on ONE corvette.

the heart of the ZR-1 package was its twin-cam, 32-valve 5.7 liter V8 (same block as the caprice's wheelie-inducing 5.7?) and produced about 375 horsepower. in 1990, a stock ZR-1 broke the 24-hour speed endurance record by maintaining an average speed of 174 miles per hour over the course of 24 hours.

okay here's another weird bit.. i rememebr hearing that a subaru forester set a 24-hour speed record back in '97.. i just looked into that (goddamn the internet is fantastic when you're drunk) and found that it did in fact do exactly that, but that its speed was significantly less than that of the ZR-1.. i just found out that the governing body which determines who breaks what record apparently placed the forester in a different class than the ZR-1.. oh well

(http://www.subaru-global.com/about/h.../1996-001.html)

okay i'm throughly trashed.. bye

-adam