View Single Post
Old 10-04-2001, 03:08 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Which Cooler rules?

Sonny,
I am going for a B&M 19000 lbs GVW model.

Randy says he is using a Tru Cool, and in a recent post described it as similar to the B&M. I think they are identical, probably made in the same factory, just using different names for different distributors.

I intend mounting mine out front of the rad, and bypass the stock cooler. My car is '91, I am convinced the stock cooler is not flowing much oil and doing precious little cooling.

There are good cases to be made for using series fitment, parallel or doing a bypass. Each has merit. One small bit of advice and warning. If you live in a cold climate with long cold winters, be very careful of putting in too much cooling. Your oil will remain sluggish, your lock-up will not cut in, you may not engage fourth gear for ages/at all.

That is why I am using the B&M. It has an inbuilt thermostatic valve to let the oil return to the tranny and heat up, before diverting it to all the cooler passages.

The disadvantage of doing it out in front the way I suggest above, is the AC radiator and the engine rad will not work as efficiently as before. The fans will probably come on more often. But it will all work.

Do a search and read the posts as Wayne says. Convince yourself what is right for your situation. As they say on TV, "the truth is out there"

Joe
PS, See them on the Jegs site under Catalogue, Transmission, Coolers.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl