View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 05:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
yet another oil leak/smoke smell problem

My SVX now has about 120,000 miles on it, it has 100,000 when I got it last year, it always did have a small oil leak and once in a while a little smoke coming from either side of the car. I have read as many posts on here as I can find on the subject and most seem to be cam, crank seals etc. under the timing belt cover, I first thought that was my problem too. Well the other day I took a 600 mile trip in one day and most of the time when I stopped I would notice the embarassing smoke. Then when I got home I noticed a scuzzy film with dust etc on the back of the car whilch was oil residue mixed with dust. Then I checked my oil and it was 3 quarts low, then is when I got real concerned. it never did use hardly any oil before but this was continous driving at interstate speeds about 75 most of that was at least 2 maybe close to 3 hours with little or now stopping, this is the first time I ever drove the car that long or fast. Well I took the plastic cover off from under the car and there was some oil in various places but I cleaned the under side with electric motor cleaner which works really well, then I washed it off with water and got it pretty clean, I drove it a short ways and noticed a very little smoke.
I then looked on top of the engine and there was some oil pooled on the top of the engine but it had some of that when I first got the car, at that time I figured it was the power steering pump seal so I changed the O-ring at that time.. Well I washed the top of the engine and so far I haven't noticed the smoke.. What I am wondering is, does anyone know what on top of the engine could be leaking to cause the smoke, I can see where it has been running down from the top and down to the exaust system. I am just unfamiliar with the things that are under the intake and I really didn't want to take that off if there is any way around it.. that looks complicated although I have worked on other cars for years.. these are foreign to me..... I haven't checked the pcv yet, but I didn't know if that might be the problem or not... So, If anyone has any thoughts on this, please reply..... Oh.. I don't doubt that the cam and crank seals are leaking some but I didn't notice any oil on the bottom of the timing belt cover.. Thanks.
Vernon