View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Bipa

Going back to the basic question of whether going 128mph is reckless, the answer must be "no". If the question is to include going 128mph in an area with a posted limit of 70, then my answer is "yes".

I go fast all the time, legally, in zones with unrestricted speed limits. I don't consider myself a reckless driver. But when I get to an area posted 120 km/hr, I slow down because at that point I would be reckless to be going at my previous high speed which might have easily been over 200km/hr.

Speed by itself isn't reckless. But speeding on a public road with other traffic where everyone is expected to adhere to a certain limit is reckless, because folks won't be anticipating someone coming up so fast. When I'm doing 200+km/hr, everyone around me knows that it is possible some car like me is coming up at high speed, so they watch their backs a bit more and stay out of the left lane. Even so, I have to be careful that some putt-putt doesn't pull out to pass a truck doing 120km/hr. That's a risk everyone takes knowingly in unlimited zones.

My bottom line is that speed in and of itself isn't reckless regardless of your definition, assuming appropriate road conditions and a capable car in good repair. But as soon as you have a speed iimit in place, then the whole situation changes.